There are some surprising ways that our health is compromised while flying (it’s not just about avoiding germs!), but there are some simple solutions that I’d like to share with you.
Flight attendants and passengers have been complaining about aerotoxic syndrome for years with little acknowledgment from airlines. Essentially, the theory is that the air from engines (contaminated with heated engine oil fumes) enters the cabin and makes some people very sick. There have been numerous accounts of flight attendants getting very ill (and showing improvement while away from the job).
Symptoms of aerotoxic syndrome include:
- vision problems
- breathing problems
- muscle aches
- increased tiredness
- lack of concentration
- inability to focus
While airlines have denied the reality of aerotoxic syndrome for years (though there have been numerous lawsuits), in 2017 British airline EasyJet announced the addition of specially designed filters to its aircrafts to stop toxic fumes from entering the passenger area. Some believe this is a clear admission that air quality on airplanes need to be better filtered.
Luckily there are some things you can do to lessen any aerotoxic exposure:
- Load up on antioxidants like bee propolis is a great choice and you don’t need water to take it.
- Drink green tea or other detox tea on the plane.
- Take a supplement like activated charcoal that will bind to unwanted toxins in the body and help flush them out.
- Take a detox bath when you reach your destination (or home).
- Exercise or use a sauna upon arrival.
- Get as much fresh air after your flight before retreating to your hotel room!
As you know, I’m a big fan of being prepared with snacks while traveling, whether it’s a car ride to the beach or a flight somewhere. While complimentary meals are a thing of the past, many airlines still offer meals and snacks for a price, but they are notoriously processed, loaded with artificial ingredients and unhealthy.
My Zo Healthy girls know better!! Here’s a quick reminder of the kinds of snacks to be packing for your upcoming vacation:
- Lettuce or Paleo wraps with turkey
- Fresh fruit
- Cut up raw veggies
- Pre-portioned packages of nuts
- Turkey jerky
- Brad’s veggies chips
- Moon juice crackers
- Seaweed snacks
- Almond butter packets and rice cakes
- RX bar or Elemental bar
- Tea packets (you can always find hot water)
A few more things to remember while traveling that will make your experience much more pleasurable:
- Drink lots and lots of water! Flushing toxins and keeping things “moving” will help you to stay as “regular” as possible. I’d also suggest keeping up with your probiotic, as that will keep your system happy and healthy while traveling!
- Make sure to have on hand some hand sanitizer or disinfecting wipes.
- Prepare your body for travel with sufficient sleep, good nutrition, exercise, vitamin D and water.
Want more health and beauty advice? Sign up here for ZoHealthy in your inbox.